The Old Castle/Kamnik Castle
|Region||Central Slovenia Statistical region|
|Starting point||Castle parking lot|
|Route length||1,54 km (0.16 miles)|
|route duration||0,5 h|
|End Point Altitude||585 m (1,919 feet)|
|Best time to visit||All year|
|Appropriate for||Baby Carriers , 1-3 years of age , 3-6 years of age , 6+ years of age|
|Level of difficulty||Moderately demanding route|
Kamnik is one of the oldest and most beautiful medieval towns in Slovenia. It is located south of the Kamnik and Savinja Alps and is the center of the municipality of the same name. It is characterized by many cultural and natural attractions that attract many visitors throughout the year.
The Old Castle stands on the Krniška gora Hill (585 meters/1,919 feet above the sea level) above the town of Kamnik. It is mentioned as early as the 12th century under the name of the Upper Castle (Gornji grad), but when it was abandoned in the 16th century, it began to decay and is now in ruins. The Dukes of Bavaria, more precisely the Andech family, acquired an extensive part of Slovenian territory. At the beginning of the 12th century, they owned parts of the Upper Carniola from the Kozjak and Trojane passes all the way to the Kokra and Smlednik rivers. The family’s main estate was in Kamnik, which thus became one of the most important places in Carniola in the 13th century. In 1202, two castles are mentioned, the Lower Castle, now known as the Little Castle and the Upper Castle, now known as the ruins of the Old Castle.
The Old Castle happens to be one of the oldest castles in Upper Carnolia. It was built in the place of a prehistoric settlement high above the town of Kamnik and fortified with a defensive wall. This location allowed the owners to have control over the traffic routes leading from Styria through the Tuhinj Valley past Kamnik to the Upper Carniola region and to the Literal-Inner Carniola region. In the 13th century, the castle became the property of the Carinthian noble family of Ortenburgers and later of the Gallenbergs, one of the oldest Carniolan noble families. In 1450, the Old Castle became a provincial princely feud and was then rented out by the Dukes of Habsburg.
In 1511 it was badly damaged by an earthquake however, and has been in irreparable decline ever since. Because of this, the Count of Thurn (who was the tenant at the time) first moved to the town of Kamnik and then to the village of Križ. The ruins of the Old Castle are not well preserved. Due to the meddling in the eastern part of the building, when a mountain hut was built on the ruins after the Second World War, only the ruins of the former gothic-style castle have been preserved in the western part of the platform.
The southern wall has also been partially preserved, where three entrances and firing lines are visible. On the main platform, a defensive tower with a rectangular ground plan is also preserved. Today, the castle is the location of the Grajska terasa Café, which attracts many visitors.
Grajska terasa at Stari grad
In addition to a variety of cold and hot drinks, this café has daily freshly baked snacks (croissants, rolls and pancakes), several types of sandwiches, and ice lollies as well as toys in the garden for children. Every Saturday, they organize workshops for children as well as TV broadcasts of sporting events and music evenings for adults. They also welcome furry animals, who can quench their thirst and rest in the shade of the castle.
Novi trg 6
040 870 255
Vita, Olja and Juna Recommend
Photos of different birds as well as little water mills and garden gnomes are sure to catch your eye while you are walking to the castle.
Here you can listen interesting legend about Veronika and old town Kamnik.